Monday, February 6, 2017

Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues Part A

I really have to say, starting out, the artwork is marvelous. I like that the peacock became the record player. Oh.. that was the intro. Looks like the scene opens onto a modern couple with a very displeased cat.

I think the idea that the storytellers are similar the Muses from Hercules is very good. I like that, however, the information they present is confusing. Such as when they had to clarify how many wives the king had or what place Ravana ruled over. I also thought it was inaccurate that they portrayed Soorpanaka, but didn’t tell her whole story—that she was obsessed with Rama, which was why she tried to make Ravana take Sita. The part where she described Sita to Ravana was also hilarious. I also like how the narrators described Ravana as “not such a bad guy” and that all he did was steal Sita.

Another thing I liked was how the “modern” story mirrored the Ramayana in that the boyfriend was leaving the girl to go to India, like how Rama left Sita in search of the golden deer.

The storytelling does point out an inconsistency in the Ramayana in how Sita was supposed to be wearing simple clothes, so where did she get all the jewelry to throw down?


Something interesting I learned was that Hanuman was the reincarnation of Shiva, who was meant to help Rama/Vishnu.

This was such a funny and great rendition of the Ramayana so far! 

A closeup of Ravana's face. 
Screenshot by me. Source: Youtube.

Sita in "Blues" form 
Screenshot by me. Source: Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment