Thursday, January 26, 2017

Week 2 Storyplanning: Enchanting Encounter

Source & Research : I would like to write about the story of Rama and Sita and their encounter. Sita, also known as Siya, Vaidehi, or Janaki, is the central female character in the Ramayana. She is a princess and a daughter of the King Janaka of Videha. Her mother is queen Sunaina. She is the avatar of Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and wife of Vishnu. Her consort (what they call the wife or husband of a royal) is Rama, who is the avatar of Vishnu. She is known to be pure, dedicated, and courageous. She followed Rama to exile. When Sita reached adulthood, Janaka organizes a Swayamvara for her with the condition that her husband would be able to string Panaka (the bow of the god Shiva) to find the best husband for her. Rama wins her hand in marriage by fastening the string tightly and then breaking the bow. Rama was born into privilege and wealth to the King Dasaratha. He was known for his virtues and purity of character.

Styles: I think a poem would be really fun to write but I am not sure how that will go along with a lot of internal dialogue yet. Another style that would be hilarious would be an epic rap battle between Sita and Rama haha. But I would have them diss each other so more tough love instead of romantic love would be displayed. Diary style would be interesting too because that's where I can divulge their deepest secrets.

Character Sketches: I really want to write this story as a "love at first sight" story or as a poem from either Rama or Sita's point of view. From the reading, we already get the gist that Rama fell in love with Sita upon seeing her, but what of Sita so I am leaning more towards Sita's point of view here. I think it will be more of personal dialogue in terms of how I will show their motivations.

Image of Rama and Sita sitting together.
Source: DollsofIndia.

Bibliography:

"Ramayana Online: Public Domain Edition" by M. Duct, R. Duct, Gould, Griffith, Hodgson, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Oman, Richardson, Ryder. Website: Indian Epics.

"Sita" on Wikipedia. Website: Wiki.

"Rama" on Wikipedia. Website: Wiki.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of "love at first sight." I like to define myself as a hopeless romantic, so I loved reading the stories in the PDE of Ramayana about Sita and Rama. I think a poem would do a great job illustrating the love and bond between the couple. In one of my posts, I capitalized on the symbolism of Sita and Rama's love as well as the way he admired her. Rama explained and described Stia's beauty with a lot of detail. With that being said, I think that when you write your store the key will be using a lot of imagery. Your idea of personal dialogue is a great way to truly embody and explain the way that Rama feels for Sita.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Michelle, it was really helpful to read your story planning to get an even better understanding of the stories. For that - I thank you! I like that you’ve taken some notes and incorporated that into your planning. I think a poem about love at first sight is a perfect way to retell the story of Sita and Rama’s love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, reading your notes and story planning gave me some ideas for week three. I think the epic rap battle is a must happen and I am excited to read about it hahaha. The viewpoint style is also very interesting, I did not think about this. I will have to look out for this next time and see if it changes my viewpoint on the story itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle these are great ideas for a story plan! I love the idea of a rap battle- that would be really hilarious. It could be funny to hear them diss each other in the rap but it might be hard to make it rhyme. You could also have them do a rap but you could make them nice to each other. You have some great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete