Monday, April 10, 2017

Reading Notes: Eastern Stories and Legends

Part A through C. I love these little stories. They are all so profound, even though they are almost child-like in the manner that they are presented. A lot of these stories are based on the lives of the Buddha. My favorite story from this list is the story "The parrot that fed his parents." When I was reading it, I was confused as to what was going on exactly until I got to the best line I've read in a while. It goes like this, "I carry food to my ancient parents who can no longer seek that food for themselves: thus I pay my daily debt. I carry food to my callow chicks whose wings are yet ungrown. When I am old they will care for me—this my loan to them. And for other birds, weak and helpless of wing, who need the aid of the strong, for them I lay up a store; to these I give in charity." This line is so great because this is so true.

Cover.
Source: Archive.


Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie Shedlock.

No comments:

Post a Comment