Thursday, April 6, 2017

Learning Challenge: Reading and watching!

Reading and watching/listening. If you are watching a movie on TV, you probably have the option to turn on English subtitles. Turn on the subtitles and see how that mix of listening and reading works for you. How is the experience different when you are both hearing and seeing the words? Do you like watching the captions turned on, or do you not like it? If you are watching together with someone else, compare your experiences. Do they have the same reaction that you do?
For this week, I want to do the "Learning by HEART" challenge for reading!

So whenever I watch a TV show or movie, if I have the option to, I always turn on the subtitles. A large part of my ability to comprehend others comes from me reading their lips. It's not that my ears are particularly bad, but sometimes, I cannot distinguish words well if I am not looking at the person directly. By both being able to hear and see the words, I can understand what is going on much better. A few people that I have met actually do not like because they say it distracts them from the actual movie since the words keep scrolling or changing. For myself, since I can read pretty quickly, it doesn't bother me much since it takes less than half a second for me to read the sentence and continue watching the scene.


"Book with pages folded into a heart."
Source: Treehugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment