Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 8 Reflections

1) Reading

I think I have been making okay choices with the reading. When I first chose the PDE version for the Ramayana, I didn't expect it to be so dense and hard to understand. Luckily, I wasn't too far into the PDE version before I switched to Narayan's version. Because Narayan wrote it like a novel, it was much easier to follow and I enjoyed it much more because the characters were explained and introduced while I was reading. The reading I enjoyed most definitely was the Ramayana. This story followed one trajectory that was really interesting. The Mahabharata was interesting too, with all of its twists, but I definitely liked the Ramayana much, much more. I have been keeping up with the readings for the most part, except for one week where I took a break from Indian Epics because I had a lot of exams to do. I also like to include what I think would be a good topic to write about, which makes it easier for me when I go back and look at what I was thinking whilst reading. As for the coming weeks, I am excited to read about the gods and goddesses and Buddhist jataka tales.

2) Writing

I have only written 3 stories so far, but I feel that I am doing okay so far. The most recent story, I had an idea of where I was going with it, but I kind of lost it at the end. I hope that after I revise it, it will turn into something I am really proud of. I had already known that I was a slow writer since the beginning, but I also learned that the more time a project takes, the less motivated I am to start early. This is a bad trait when it comes to writing because I am reluctant to do it due to my perfectionist personality. I hope to be rid of it soon. When I need ideas for writing, I like to go online and see what scenario ideas people have and how I can integrate those in my writing/stories. I would like to branch out more in the next few weeks. The past few weeks, I've been writing stories that are more or less on the same trajectory as the stories. I recently read a peer's story and she only took one line out of the story and wrote an amazing story out of it. I want to try that eventually.

3) Connecting
I really enjoy good stories. There are so many people in class with amazing writing skills and there are some that are about average. Some people have the tendency to make their stories a huge wall of text that makes it hard to digest the story. That is something I would like to avoid in my writing. I think I'm giving good feedback, especially when it comes to portfolio comments because they're longer and allow me to freely express my thoughts.

Me sometimes:
Source: Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment